When making videos for YouTube, a good camera is key. With still more people competing for the top ranking positions with high-quality video content, you need to up your game if you want your YouTube videos to be seen. For this you need the best camera for YouTube.
When choosing your camera, it is important to find equipment that fits the purpose of your videos, your ambitions and your level of expertise.
Looking to hire a video camera for your YouTube content? In this guide we tell you what you need to know before deciding on the best camera for filming your own YouTube videos:
- What qualities define the best camera for YouTube?
- Get started: best budget camera for Youtube
- Get better: up your game with a more advanced video camera
- Stay pro: ensure professional quality with the best camera for YouTube recording
- Why rent your YouTube camera?
What qualities define the best camera for YouTube?
With both amateur and professional videos gaining more and more popularity on YouTube as well as other platforms, we are exposed to high-quality video content each day. For your videos to be noticed and appreciated, you need to meet the expectations of your audience.
For that you need some basic qualities in your video camera. No matter what kind of content you wish to make, these basics should include:
- Size that fits the use. If you are a vlogger and need to be able to film anywhere and all the time, you need a small and compact camera that fits in your bag. If you are filming professionally, you might want a bigger camera with more functions.
- Good audio. While you can save some parts of a bad audio recording at a studio using a better microphone, outdoor takes will be ruined by bad sound recording. For that reason any vlogging camera needs to have good audio equipment.
- High resolution. In any video on YouTube, the quality of the footage is in focus. People will quickly get annoyed if details are blurred or the lightning is bad. Therefore, high resolution is a must. However, it should be noted that neither resolution nor audio need to be of cinematic quality.
Vlogging camera for home or outdoor adventures? Different cameras for different purposes
As we stated above, the best camera for filming Youtube videos is the camera that matches your purpose and level of expertise. If you are making content for your own channel, you might be looking for the best camera for YouTube vlogging.
Then again, the best vlogging camera might also vary depending on your style; are you uploading crazy travel adventures (then you might need an actioncam) or are you filming a diary from home? (then you might need a good DSLR with an extra high resolution).
If you are working more professionally with making studio videos that will also go on YouTube, you might need a video camera of a whole other quality. In this article we focus on video making specifically for YouTube – if you are interested in renting a cinematic camera instead, you can start here.
Can a smartphone be the best YouTube camera?
Yes! You can easily use your smartphone when recording YouTube videos. Most modern smartphones have good quality cameras and can record decent audio.
So, when is a smartphone the best camera for YouTube?
- When you are short on money
- When you are short on time, and want to get started fast
- If you have limited technical skills
However, a smartphone does have a few shortcomings compared to normal cameras. The resolution seldom matches that of the best cameras for YouTube, and the audio is often flawed when the volume is turned up high. They can also have their issues when filming in poorly lit situations.
So, if you want to use your smartphone as your YouTube camera, consider doubling down on the extras:
- Lenses - Moment makes some absolutely stunning ones!
- Tripods - You don’t want your shaky hands to ruin the picture.
Get started: best budget camera for YouTube
If you are just getting started vlogging or making videos for YouTube, you might not have found your specific style just yet. Furthermore, you might not know too much about camera technology.
Since you are still experimenting, you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a camera you might not even use. To get started you need a beginner-friendly camera that is easy to figure out and will give you good – if not great – video and audio.
Here we have examples of some of the best cheap cameras for YouTube:
Get Started Cameras
Get better: up your game with a better vlogging camera
After spending some time making vlogs or video content, you may have a better idea of the direction you want to take. Maybe your followers are loving your travel vlogs. Or maybe you are successful reviewing books or movies.
No matter what, now is the time to up your game! If you want to keep evolving and growing your channel, you need an even better vlogging camera. You also need one that matches your purpose more specifically.
Here are some examples of good and semi-professional YouTube cameras:
Get Better Cameras
Stay pro: ensure professional quality with the best camera for YouTube recording
For the professional vlogger, one of the ways to keep improving the quality of your content and gaining more followers is upgrading your video equipment and experimenting with new techniques.
For you, nothing will do but the absolute best camera for YouTube recording. This means that you might also want to spend a little more on an expensive – but high quality – video camera.
Another way to stay pro and keep evolving is to have a selection of different cameras for YouTube. For example the best vlogging camera, but also a good GoPro and a top-quality Mirrorless. In that way, you can make different content without compromising on quality.
Examples of some of the best cameras for filming YouTube videos are:
- Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
- Canon EOS R5
- Sony A7S III
- Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K
- Canon C300 Mk II
Why rent or subscribe to your YouTube camera?
No matter your content type or your level of experience, there are many advantages to renting your YouTube camera instead of buying.
Renting gives you the freedom to experiment with different types of equipment. It also allows you to upgrade as you get better at filming and using different types of cameras.
This makes it so much easier for you to adapt and go along with new ideas and possibilities – and will give you an advantage on an ever-changing platform as YouTube.